The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2020 Selección - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A more “serious” wine in the lineup coming from Monte Xanic is Selección, a recent addition to their traditional lineup but one that has been turning heads and winning awards since it was first released in 2019. The 2020 vintage shows a polish that all of the wines have undergone in the hands of Oscar Gaona who took over as head winemaker at the end of the 2018 vintage. In this case this means better fruit expression, smoother tannins and an overall better integration of attributes arising from the barrel. A wine that manages to hold your attention all by itself, this would also pair nicely with a rich and fatty dish – think ribeye or a dark mole.
Drinking window: upon release - 7 years
60% Malbec, 30% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Granite and clay mix