The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably, and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2020 Calixa Cabernet Syrah - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Always a winner for a fresh red wine with plenty of depth but zero pretense, the 2020 Cab Syrah is another easy choice. A very light oak treatment leaves the wine fruit-froward and honest to the expression of the grapes. Delicious alone or with a meal.
Drinking window: Now - 5 years
80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Granite and clay mix
Fermented in stainless steel and aged in neutral French oak for 9 months