The Cieli Estate
- Established in 2012, Ron is a one-man-show. While he doesn't own his own grapes, his oversight of the rows he sources from is very hands-on, and he vinifies everything personally.
- All wines, (except Dolchezza Seco) are aged for 12 months in either 1st or second use American oak barrels.
- Since he insists on having the highest level of attention to detail in the wines he makes and in using only the best grapes, his production is limited to what he can make himself. - He gets his grapes from three sources:
- A few select rows of 20 year old vineyard sites near the valley floor of Valle de Guadalupe.
- Vines in a low elevation vineyard in Valle de San Vicente very close to the Pacific.
- 75 + year old vines in a vineyard at 3,500ft in Ojos Negros - organically farmed.
Total production: 6 wines, 750 cases
2016 Celesti - Bodegas Cieli
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A red wine with a full body, smooth tannins and a long finish. Notes of toasted oak, bread, cherry preserves, black berry and allspice on the nose. Expressive chocolate, black currant, black pepper and coffee notes in the mouth.
Only 50 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 7 years
50% Nebbiolo, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Syrah
Don Cieli - American by birth. Now a Mexican citizen.
The Nebbiolo (42 years old) originates from a high elevation site in Ojos Negros (3,500 ft) composed primarily decomposed quartz, granite and volcanic debris. The Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah (20 years old) come from Valle de Guadalupe (900 ft, decomposed sandstone and red clay).
Fermented for 10 days on the skins and seeds in stainless steel tanks and then left to soak with the skins and seeds for an additional month once being moved to the barrel. All barrels composed of American oak 1st use.
Sulfites: 35 ppm