The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably, and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2020 Limited Edition Malbec - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Part of the first duo of Limited Edition wines ever to be released to the US market, this Malbec is another one for the history books. All of the rich fruit, (for which Malbec is so well known) is in proportion here with the structure and acidity needed for it to float gracefully across your palate. A treat on its own, this will pair perfectly with just about anything that comes off your grill as well as bolognaise pasta or a homemade pizza.
Only 300 cases made!
Drinking Window: Upon release (with slight decant) - 10 years
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Valle de Ojos Negros – Estate owned, single vineyard with primarily clay soils at an elevation of 1,800 ft.
Aged in 1st use French oak for 13 months and then racked into stainless steel tanks for an additional 4 months of settling.