The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2019 Viña Kristel - Monte Xanic
Always an incredible value, Monte Xanic's Vina Kristel is 100% Sauvignon Blanc that comes from the single vineyard named "Kristel". The vineyard was originally planted by Russian pacifists that escaped violence in their homeland during the Bolshevik Revolution in the early 1900's, and the most compelling attributes of the wine owe a good bit to the age of the vines. 2019 is an excellent vintage for this wine with an even more expressive nose of tropical and citrus fruits than previous vintages. In the mouth the wine shows impeccable balance, crisp acidity and a finish that persists for 30 seconds.
Drinking window: Now - 3-4 years
100% Sauvignon Blanc
Oscar Gaona - Mexican
Valle de Guadalupe - Estate vineyard name Kristel after the owner's daughter. Originally planted by Russian pacifists that escaped the Bolchevik Revolution in the early 1900's this vineyard houses some of the estate's oldest vines. Soils are mainly red clay with a mix of large granite stones.
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks