The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2018 Chenin Colombard - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
The first wine made at the historic Monte Xanic estate and a favorite ever since, this little gem is a surprise in general but especially given the price. The wine opens with a nose that over delivers with a bounty of tropical fruits, lime peel and fresh ocean breeze. In the mouth, it hits all of the taste buds but especially the back and sides of the tongue register its lovely acidity. Great with spicy Asian foods and salty sauces based on soy sauce, this is an excellent vintage of this wine.
Drinking window: Now - 3 years
98% Chenin Blanc, 2% Colombard
Christina Pino Spanish born, now a Mexican citizen
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks