The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2018 Calixa Chardonnay - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A white wine that shows the class and consistent quality of this benchmark estate, the 2018 Calixa Chardonnay, is made from grapes harvested at night and aged in stainless steel tanks. Notes of yellow apple and tropical fruit on the nose lead to a light bodied wine on the palate composed of lime zest, refreshing citrus fruits, tart apple, and lemon curd.
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
Christina Pino Spanish born, now a Mexican citizen
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks