The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2016 Tempranillo - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
One of the grapes that performs very differently in Northern Baja than it does in it's native Spain, Tempranillo is likely to be one of the main red grapes the region ends up hanging its hat on and Carrodilla's version is an excellent example. For those looking to explore the higher range of power Tempranillo can exert, this a wine whose boldness is matched only by it's robust structure and acidity, all of which combine to make it truly remarkable. A huge nose of black cherry, cigar box, roasted tomato and wood smoke compose the opening act for a wine that moves across your palate like a ballet version of AC/DC - where seemingly improbable feats of finesse and elegance are executed with such vivacity and amplitude it's impossible for you to turn your attention away.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 10 years
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards. 950 ft elevation. Decomposed granite with clay. amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks with skins and seeds for 3 weeks then racked to 1st and 2nd use French oak barrels and aged for 12 months.
Sulfites: 70 ppm