The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2017 Syrah - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
One of the obvious strengths of the Carrodilla portfolio, this Syrah, like the rest of their wines, is a small lot production, (350 cases) made from hand-picked grapes grown in their organic and biodynamically farmed vineyards. A nose of black peppercorn, vanilla, baking spice and blueberry, (that are sure to make you want to fire up your grill and cook the best steak you can find), lead towards a mouthful of fresh berries, refreshingly bitter chocolate notes, star anise, plum and tobacco.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Now (with a 30 min decant) - 10 years
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards. 950 ft elevation. Decomposed granite with clay. amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks with skins and seeds for 3 weeks then racked to 1st and 2nd use French oak barrels and aged for 12 months.
Biodynamic, organic, sustainable