The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2018 Chenin Blanc - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Lover of white wine but looking for a new twist? If you haven't discovered Chenin Blanc, this biodynamic organic Chenin is an excellent place to start. With only 350 cases made and only 16 cases allocated to the US market, it's not easy to get your hands on, but if you manage to you'll be rewarded with a nose of chamomile and lemon zest that prepare your palate for a wash of lemon curd, citrus blossom, a hint of honey and a touch of cream. Ready to drink right away and will hold for several years.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
100% Chenin Blanc
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards, 950 ft elevation, decomposed granite with clay - amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Whole cluster press then fermented in stainless steel tanks for 4 weeks. After this the wine aged in stainless tanks for another 3 months.
Biodynamic, organic, sustainable