The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2018 Arbol - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A Syrah that reveals itself with completely naked expression, Carrodilla's Arbol is organically and biodynamically farmed and vinified, fermented with wild yeast, aged in stainless steel tanks and bottled without the addition of sulfites. A nose of tapenade, fresh red berries, leather, peppercorn, and licorice serve as a prelude to a complex array of flavors that seem to defy description. Boysenberry, cardamom, tobacco, star anise, dried cranberry, chocolate, grilled steakthe flavors and scents of this wine continue to call out more and more likenesses each time you bring it to your lips. As it has no added sulfites, it's recommended to not wait to drink this wine, get right in to it.
Only 125 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards. 950 ft elevation. Decomposed granite with clay. Amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Fermented with native yeast in open stainless steel tanks with skins and seeds for 3 weeks then racked into another stainless tank and aged for 9 months.
Biodynamic, organic, sustainable