The Symmetria Estate:
- Symmetria is the type of gem one always hopes to stumble upon. A husband and wife team with incredible talent, access to incredible vineyards, insatiable curiosity, high expectations, and wild dreams. Founded in 2015 by Mauricio and his wife Deniesse, the strength of these wines comes both from Mauricio's extensive background in oenology, as well as access to, and first pick of, some of the oldest remaining and most esteemed vineyard sites in Valle de Guadalupe. The principle source for their wines are vineyards originally planted by Russian immigrants in the early 1900's. Mauricio is the vineyard manager for these hallowed parcels and has, as part of his compensation, the right to have the first pick from the vineyards each vintage.
- 60% of the wines are made from their estate grapes.
- Their 'Syrah', a blend of 95% Syrah and 5% Malbec, is made in a 'natural' style. Fermented with native yeasts and minimal sulfites added.
- Their approach to wine making is to maintain a healthy environment for their vineyards, their family and their customers. To this end, they farm organic, make no corrections to pressed juice, and add compost to their soils annually from local sources constantly enriching the soils from which their grapes are derived.
- Symmetria works with 10 varieties of grapes derived from the following valleys:
Valle de Ojos Negros:
- Elevation: 2,200 ft
- Soil type: decomposed granite
- Vine age: 15 - 20 years
- Grape varieties: Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon
Valle de Guadalupe:
- Elevation: 1,100 ft
- Soil type: red clay/sandy loam
- Vine age: 50 - 80 years
- Grape varieties: Malbec, Chenin Blanc, French Colombard, Zinfandel, Grenache, Mission, Cabernet Franc, and Palomino
Total production: 6 wines, 400 cases
2018 Chenin Colombard - Symmetria
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A wine that will help you say yes to Chenin blanc, (if you haven't already) is this naturally styled blend of Chenin and Colombard from the micro estate of Symmetria. Bright notes of lemon zest in the nose and on the palate make this an excellent pairing wine, but it's on account of the more subtle notes of herbal teas such as chamomile and floral elements including jasmine and citrus blossom, that the wine really sings.
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
80% Chenin Blanc, 20% Colombard
Mauricio J. Soler - Mexican
Valle de Guadalupe - Vines are some of the oldest still in existance in the region. Vineyard is located on the northwest wall of the valley at an eleevation 1,000 ft and has soils of red clay/sandy loam. Average wine age is 50 - 80 years.
Fermentation and aging were carried out in stainless steel tanks
Sulfites: 30 ppm
Organic, dry farmed, sustainable