The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2019 Rosé - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A light to medium bodied rosé of considerable depth and stunning color profile that has an elegant weight and the correct acid balance to be exceedingly refreshing, but depth of fruit profile to push back against powerful and spicy dishes as well. AND, don't let the color fool you, this is a bone dry ros̩ that leaves your mouth with nothing but the bright zing of clean acidity.
Drinking window: Now - 2 years
Oscar Gaona - Mexican
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks