The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably, and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2021 Viña Kristel - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Monte Xanic’s Viña Kristel is a 100% Sauvignon Blanc that comes from the single vineyard named “Kristel”. The vineyard was originally planted by Russian pacifists that escaped violence in their homeland during the Bolshevik Revolution in the early 1900’s, and the most compelling attributes of the wine owe a good bit to the age of the vines which are an average of 70 years old. In 2021, this wine has made a huge leap forward. Winemaker Oscar Gaona who took the reigns in the end of 2019 seems to have found his stride in these 2021 whites that are just starting to hit the market in mid-March 2022. Like the rest, this wine displays a much more expressive nose and a far higher amplitude in the mouth than previous vintages. The entire Monte Xanic look changed dramatically this year and the wines seem to have followed suit.
8,300 cases made
Drinking window: Now – 5 years
100% Saugivnon Blanc
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Granite and clay mix in a vineyard site with an average vine age of 70 years.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks for 2 weeks then cold stabilized and aged for 6 months in stainless steel.
Sulfites 30 PPM