The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably, and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2021 Rosé - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Not enough can be said of this beautiful light bodied rosé. It's nose of fresh summer breeze, watermelon rind and green strawberries, leads to a wine of bright and fresh acidity on the palate. Notes of strawberry, raspberry, and blood orange combine to leave your mouth yearning for another sip.
This is as Limited Edition wine as it is made only from the estate vines of their high elevation site in Ojos Negros.
Drinking window: Upon release - 3 years
Oscar Gaona - Mexican
Estate vineyards at an elevation of 2,200 ft in Valle de Ojos Negros. Soil profile is a granite and clay mix and the vineyard was planted in 2007.
Harvested by hand at night to maintain freshness and acidity then pressed and fermented in stainless steel tanks. Aged in stainless tanks for 6 months before bottling.
Sulfites: 55 ppm