The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably, and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2021 Chenin Blanc - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
As with the rest of the 2021 white wines from Monte Xanic this vintage is another absolutely beautiful wine. With brighter more crisp acidity giving it the lift needed to float across the palate with astonishing finesse, one has to admit that whatever winemaker Oscar Ganoa has implemented since taking over in 2019 is working. While not meant as a wine to age it should hold well in your cellar for a few years at least.
Drinking Window: Upon release - 4 years
100% Chenin Blanc
Oscar Gaona - Mexican
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks