The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2018 Syrah - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Released for the first time in the US this year, Monte Xanic's monovarietal Syrah is a classy version of this oft brazen varietal. Less wild than it can often appear, this rendition is muscular but polished with spice blanced with fruit and a touch of barrel in the most well-rounded of ways.
Drinking window: Now - 7 years
Granite and clay mix
Aged in 1st use French oak for 12 months