The Corona Estate
- A family owned and operated winery in the heart of Valle de Guadalupe, established in 2011, Corona del Valle works with 9 varieties of grapes all of which come from their organically farmed sustainably run vineyards.
- Focus is on monovarietals, with fastidious attention to detail in the vineyards and making very pure honest wines with no corrections.
- The winery is designed with the utmost orientation to sustainability with forward thinking elements such as a rooftop solar array that provides enough energy to run their entire operation, and buried drip irrigation lines to reduce loss from evaporation to almost zero.
- Soil type: Decomposed sandstone and red clay
- Elevation: 1000 ft
- Vine age: vines planted in 2011
- Farmed organic (not certified)
Total Production: 9 wines (additional reservas in some vintages), 7,000 cases
2019 Sauvignon Blanc - Corona del Valle
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Sauvignon Blanc in northern Mexico has a tendency to lean more towards tropical notes such as pineapple and guava and less in the direction of the smell of fresh cut grass as you get in cooler climates - This wine is a good example of tropical winning out over lawn. From an organically farmed vineyard site that is rich in iron and minerals, the wine portrays the more taught iterations of these tropical notes balancing acidic citrus notes with a rounded sensual almost creamy edge. Light-bodied, bright and balanced this is an excellent pairing wine as well as a wine for simple sipping.
900 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
100% Sauvignon Blanc
Corona del Valle
Jac Cole - American lives in Napa
Hector Corona - Mexican
Ricardo Espinoza - Mexican
Valle de Guadalupe - Estate vineyards in the center of the valley at an elevation of 1,000 ft. Vines are 6 years old and planted in soil of decomposed sandstone mixed with red clay. While not certified, the vineyards are farmed organic.
Fermentation takes place over 3 weeks with seeds and skins in stainless steel tanks. After this the wine is racked off the skins and continues to age in stainless steel for another 2 months.
Sulfites: 35 ppm