- DuoMa was created in 2016 by husband and wife team Eliecer Arroyo and Carla Torres as a small oenological project focused on creating expressive and honest wines that reflect accurate varietal expression and the place they come from.
- Their philosophy is to create wines that reflect the purity of the grape without modification or alteration, To achieve this they focus on minimal intervention, applying modern oenological techniques and manual procedures. When at all possible they chose to use their hands in the winemaking process knowing that by doing so the quality of their wines will be enhanced…two hands that become an element of the wine.
- A small winery that does not yet own it's own vineyards, Duoma sources from a number of organically farmed vineyards sites in the Valleys of Guadalupe, Ojos Negros, Santo Tomas and San Vicente.
- The name Duoma is a combination of the Spanish words for two "dos", and hand "mano" and symbolizes the fact that two sets of hands came together to make these wines.
- The elegance of their concept is summarized in the feeling readily apparent in the presence of this couple and this, in combination with their penchant for simplicity and innovation, is captured by the Quonset hut structure of their winery located on a hill in the center of Valle de Guadalupe.
- native yeasts, low sulphites, minimal intervention, and use of hands as much in the process of making the wines are components that breathe life into these delightfully refreshing wines.
Total production: 6 wines, 800 cases
2019 Pet Nat Blanco - Duoma
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
As clean and refreshing as it is rustic and ageless, this is a sparkling wine made in the ancient sparking wine method developed by French monks called Petillant Naturel where the wine is bottled before fermentation is complete. As the juice continues to ferment the CO2 released is forced into the wine resulting in the most delicate and refreshing bubbles in the glass. While many wines made in this style go to market with all of the sediment left over from the fermentation process still in the bottle, Eliecer and Carla used a method of sediment removal called “method ancestral” each bottle is skillfully opened by hand for just for an instant and then recapped. In the glass this wine erupts with notes of dried pineapple, melon and candied fruits, an experience that is followed up with a mouthful of crisp citrus fruits, lemon peel, and fresh baked bread. Very difficult to drink this wine without smiling.
Only 70 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 3 years
Eliecer Arroyo and Carla Torres
Young vines 10 years of age. The vineyard is located in Valle de Ojos Negros at an elevation of 2,200 ft. Soils are primarily clay mixed with some sand.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks for 7 days before bottling. This wine is made without sulfites, had no extraction techniques such as pump overs employed during fermentation, and was not filtered or fined at any point during the process.