The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2019 Gran Ricardo - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
One of the premium wines originating from Mexico is Monte Xanic's Gran Ricardo. A Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot from the estates oldest and finest vines, this is a full-bodied, richly textured wine that unfolds in layers of aromatics and flavors that evolve distinctly with time in the glass. Under the leadership of new winemaker Oscar Gaona the 2018 Gran Ricardo (released in 2020) marks the first time this blend has included Cabernet Franc. With and eye towards expression of place and highlighting variation in soil types and vineyard expression, this is a first stunning glimpse into what to expect from Monte Xanic under Oscar's influence. While accessible now, this is a wine with aging potential, and it will continue to evolve nicely over the next 10-15 years.
Drinking window: Upon release (with decant) - 10 to 15 years
56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 11% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petit Verdot
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in 1st use French oak barrels