The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2019 Chenin Blanc - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Lover of white wine but looking for a new twist? If you haven't discovered Chenin Blanc, this biodynamic organic Chenin is an excellent place to start. With only 350 cases made and only 2 cases allocated to the US market, it's not easy to get your hands on, but if you manage to do so you'll be rewarded with a nose of chamomile and lemon zest that prepare your palate for a wash of lemon curd, citrus blossom, a hint of honey and a touch of cream. Ready to drink right away and will hold for several years.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Now - 4 years
100% Chenin Blanc
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards, 950 ft elevation, decomposed granite with clay - amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Whole cluster press then fermented in stainless steel tanks for 4 weeks. After this the wine aged in stainless tanks for another 3 months.
Sulfites: 70 ppm
Biodynamic, organic, sustainable