The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2017 Calixa Cabernet Syrah (375ml) - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
From Monte Xanic's, 'Calixa' line, comes this Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah blend. Like any good estate, you'll find a wonderful unique expression of the vineyards in each vintage and in this blend from 2017 the Syrah takes a front row seat. A luscious full body thanks to the Cabernet Sauvignon is seasoned with lovely floral and spice elements coming from the Syrah. The black pepper notes on the nose and on the palate make this a perfect pair with most meat dishes that don't get to amped on the spicy side. A red wine fermented and aged in only stainless steel tanks, this bottle is all about the naked expression of the fruit.
Drinking window: Upon release - 5 years
80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah
Christina Pino - Spanish born, now a Mexican citizen
Granite and clay mix
Fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks.