The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2019 Cabernet Sauvignon - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A winner right out of the gate, this is a great example of the current trend of improvement from vintage to vintage that Monte Xanic is experience. Now under the leadership of the winemaking skill of Oscar Gaona, (formerly of Casa Madero) expect to see a trend towards a more and more natural style of winemaking and an intention of more clear expression of sense of place overall. Always a favorite, this vintage of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon is fresh and elegant and will reward the patience of a little time in the bottle. Drink your 2018's now!
Drinking window: Now (slight decant) - 7 years
Oscar Gaona - Mexican, lives in Valle de Guadalupe
Granite and clay mix
Aged in 1st use French oak for 12 months