The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2018 Merlot - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
What is clearly the wine of the vintage for this estate and one of the most profound examples of a highly extracted and luscious style, the 2018 Merlot is a wine that drinks like a song right now but will repay those with patience to give it a few years in the bottle. A brilliant yet very limited wine.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Upon - 10 years
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards. 950 ft elevation. Decomposed granite with clay. Amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks with skins and seeds for 3 weeks then racked to 1st and 2nd use French oak barrels and aged for 12 months.
Sulfites: 70 ppm