The Monte Xanic Estate
- Monte Xanic is heralded as the first boutique winery in Mexico, established in 1988. The story goes that this move, (and Monte Xanic's subsequent success) played a major role in starting a trend towards grape farmers making wine from their own grapes rather than raising grapes for sale.
- With a large quantity of land under vine in all of the major wine growing valleys of the region, they are by far the most prolific of the boutique wineries in the region.
- Their vineyard sites are farmed sustainably and their winery operates as a model of modern ecofriendly design.
- The estate weds advanced technology with old world wisdom, such as harvesting all of their white grapes by hand at night in order to maintain maximum freshness and acidity.
- The "X" in Xanic is pronounced like a "sh", so Xanic sounds like "shan-eek". Xanic is the name of the white flower that is one of the first to bloom in spring in Valle de Guadalupe. When the spring rains are just right, the mountainside behind the winery is cloaked in their blooms.
Total production: 18 wines, 80,000 cases
2019 Chardonnay - Monte Xanic
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A chardonnay made from estate grown fruit that spends just a small window of time aging in oak, this wine strikes a great balance of the richness delivered by oak aging and the transparent display of green apple fruit for which the naked expression of the variety is known.
Drinking window: Upon release - 5 years
Oscar Gaona - Mexican
Valle de Guadalupe
Fermented stainless steel tanks and aged in new French oak barrels for 3 months.