The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2018 Cabernet Sauvignon - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
Oh Cabernet how you have entranced us all. This wine is another great example of how. Himalayan in size and yet delivering more structure than previous vintages this is a wine you want to open when you have nothing else to do but ponder it. Big, bold and balanced but with magnitude, this is an effort that is pushing up against the ceiling of size but in the most graceful way.
While, like all estates committed to not using corrections in their wines, you will find some vintage variation in these monovarietals, but with the dedication to excellence the winery operates at, there is never any chance of going backwards in quality. To the contrary, as they work to dial in their vineyards with this robust style, they are finding more ways to tease out restraint and finesse while still letting them operate in an essentially unbridled fashion.
350 cases made
Drinking window: Now (with a 30 min decant) - 10 years
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadaplue - Estate vineyards. 950 ft elevation. Decomposed granite with clay. amendments per biodynamic specifications.
Fermented in stainless steel tanks with skins and seeds for 3 weeks then racked to 1st and 2nd use French oak barrels and aged for 12 months.
Sulfites: 70 ppm
Biodynamic, organic, sustainable