The Carrodilla Estate
- This estate represents the first certified organic and biodynamic vineyards in Mexico.
- All of the monovarietal wines are made from estate fruit.
- Their southwestern facing vineyard site is located 11 miles up the Valle de Guadalupe from the Pacific at an elevation of 1,000 ft.
- They are one of the first wineries in Mexico to make a fully certified organic and biodynamic wine.
- Their organic certifications come from the USDA and CCOF.
- Their biodynamic certification comes from IMO, with a second certification from Demeter planned to take effect in 2020.
- To visit Carrodilla is to visit a true working farm, only part of the project is growing grapes and making wine.
Total production: 34.5 acres under vine, 7 wines, 3,500 cases
2017 Asi se va las Estrellas Tinto - La Carrodilla
Tasting Notes and Drinking Window:
A robust and layered Bordeaux blend built in a forthcoming New World style that lays it all out on the table. Cassis and blackberry, black currant and stewed plums provide prelude to a wine whose lusciousness and silky texture read like Christmas dinner next to a cozy fireplace - all of the warmth and embrace one could hope for.
A wine normally reserved only for the family behind the Carrodilla estate and their closest friends, this is the first time this wine has been made available to the general public and only 2 cases were allocated.
200 cases made
Drinking window: Upon release - 7 to 10 years
35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Cabernet Franc, 33% Merlot
Gustavo Gonzales - Mexican
Valle de Guadalupe - select clos of estate vineyards planted at 950 ft elevation in soils of a red clay and calcareous sand mix. Vines planted in 2008.
The best grapes of the 2017 harvest were hand selected and fermented and aged in 1st use French oak (medium toast) for 18 months.
Sulfites: 30 ppm